Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Local Finds - Public Market Furniture

One of my favorite places to browse for deals is Public Market Furniture in Willmar, MN. It is located behind the Casey's gas station on 19th Ave.

They usually have a great selection of used furniture! And the place is huge, so it's fun to see what can be unearthed. We made a stop last weekend to check out nightstands and end tables when we were passing through town. So I whipped out my pocket camera to snap a few images for ya!
There are always tons or nearly new couches and sectionals right when you come in the door, most sets around $700!

They usually have some great rugs, priced very reasonably!

There were two pianos this time... something we don't see here a lot and they were both around $150 I believe. I have a dream of having a bunch of little girls someday, all taking piano lessons. Chris told me to keep dreaming!

This is where I stopped dead in my tracks and completely forgot why we were there! I have been fantasizing about lockers for a few months now and there they were... in pristine condition... but with a sticker of 195 bones, my happy bubble quickly deflated... I believe they are totally worth every penny - but just not in the budget at this point. Sad day, I had to walk away... but I am kicking myself and the hubsters says to just buy them - I think he just says that to shut me up, we have a relationship overflowing with love like that! :-)

I moved on... they have used appliances at great prices too. See the stainless steel flattop on the left? That beauty sold of $150.

Finally I found my focus. Here were two nightstands that looked pretty decent but were marked $65 a piece, not exactly what I am looking for and they were pretty new to the store, so not a whole lot of wiggle room on price.

This pretty table was only $369, I thought that was a decent deal - but I've got other plans, and only brought a car.

Another nightstand with the same $65 tag, and small dressers for $50 each. Still too new, not budging on price. So I walked away...

This cute little table was just handing out, but he was a whopping $35! Definitely too much when you're used to auction prices - this would go for $2 (like Chris' current nightstand seen HERE)!

Then we headed upstairs, this is where the deals are!

This is the furniture that has spent a little bit of time here...

A vast array of haggling to be had!

First up we saw these dining room chairs... six of them, two of which where captains chairs. We came up with a makeover plan for them and then just decided to nix it. They were asking 139 bones, and even though we know they would be willing to negotiate price, we just knew the would be more work then we wanted to commit.
This table got the creative juices flowing again. At $139 for the four chairs, table and bench - we almost called off our entire table making plan - but in the end we determined it was too chunky. I never thought those words would leave my mouth, because I am a super chunky lovin' kinda gal!


This dresser/buffet was only $75 and I was picturing it in a coat of white... dreamy...

I pulled this dusty little fella out of a corner. He wasn't marked, but I figured for $3 we could have taken him home... he's still chilling at the store but I may visit him another time to see if he is still available!

These gals were just mingling in the corner... they read $20-35 each, and the little brown, tufted, wheeled ottoman in the back was marked $19... it was a consideration, but I only wanted to pay 5 smackers and was declined, so I walked away (see a trend)?

That's when I fell in love with this gem. He had me at hello. I told Chris he better not me more than $20, and I was surprised with the lowest sticker of the day at $15! I snatched him up, no haggling needed, he was mine!

There was another spiffy fella, looking brand spanking new (even the hardware was still wrapped). This shiny man was only $65, if I had a place to put him I would have squeezed him in the car!

As with most thrift stores, there are always items that make the two of us chuckle - such as these mermaidesque chairs, complete with pink shag seats.


And there are the items that make we laugh from afar, but upon closer inspection - I begin to love. This love seat was one of those moments, I could totally see her happily residing in our porch - Chris didn't have the same vision.

I found this gal in the corner. I have an obsession with chairs of this style (seen HERE and HERE)... but she was a tad pricey at $20 and needed lots of TLC, so we said our goodbyes cause the lady working the store wasn't in a bargaining sort of mood.

I was even able to pass on the white ceramic skull... only 20 bones (haha, punny huh!? no!? moving on...) Even though white ceramics make me weak in the knees.

Well that was our Public Market Furniture adventure last weekend. Went in for nightstands or end tables and left with a coffee table for $15 - pretty typical of me. Things to Note: always take time to browse, check every corner, feel out the employees (not literally) and don't be afraid to haggle - the worst they can do is say "no".

Happy Tuesday!

No comments: