Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bitter Sweet

I thought it would finally be time for me to display one of my holiday decorations. Last summer at an auction, yes the one that did THIS to my garage, I ended up buying a box for some fancy-shmancy dishes and ended up getting a couple old doilies. Wondering what to do with them, I browsed the internet for doily projects. And feel in love with one!
-
I have been grabbing spare doilies from everywhere all year! Friends, grandma, garage sales, thrift shops, surprisingly - they are very hard to find! Finally I had enough to do for now...
-
Then I got an idea for a great new table! So I waited and waited, as patiently with little toe tapping as I could for the hubby to help with the table. Two weeks before Christmas, I burst out one night, "Will the table be done for Christmas!?" The answer was no.
-
So, I decided that my doily project would have to go on my not so pretty table... fine. I'll suck it up! {But I'm not going to be happy about it...}
-
-
Meet my sad, old, plain, veneer topped, metal legged, yawn table... sigh... okay, pity party over, let's jazz her up!
-
-
Here are the said doilies mentioned above, and the only other supply I needed... floss!
-
-
First I laid them out on the table, in a fashion that pleased me... not hard to do with all that white and creamy crocheted happiness!
-
-
Last, you tie the delicate beauties together and snip off the extra floss... are you ready!?
-
-
Pow! One super schnazzy doily project all dressed up for Christmas! Now imagine a big bouquet of flowers in the spring or a pumpkin and acorns in the fall... woo hoo, multi-use project. {Would be even better if the boy would help me with my table project. Honey, I hope you're reading this, love you!}
-
The title is "Bitter Sweet" because I insist this project would have looked better, but in reality I love it so much, I could care less what table it was on!
-
Next step, add more doilies as I find them and turn it into a full table runner, with homemade gorgeousness flowing over the edge of the table! Like the one I found that sent me on the doily mission this summer, you can see it HERE (you may have to scroll through some of the photos in the bottom right). Did you find it!? Love it!
-
My sincerest apologies for all the "excitement" in today's post, I'm in a GREAT mood and I'll explain it all very soon! No, it's not the table :-) Happy Thursday!

3 comments:

Jayme said...

Great project. You might also like this doily project: http://somedaycrafts.blogspot.com/2011/01/doily-luminaries.html

Marsha said...

I hope I am thinking of the right reason you are beaming with excitement - smiling wide for you as well!

Chris & Kelli said...

Haha, no... you and Jayme think alike. FYI, no baby news...

More along the lines of working on resolutions and they are paying off, literally! :)