Thursday, November 4, 2010

Back At It

Okay, Wednesday's post didn't happen... oh well, I try the best I can, Wednesdays just seem to be hard for me cause there are so many important things to do... like watching Survivor (that darn Naonka needs to go home).
-
Anywho, back to project week. I am very excited about this one! Last summer I went to an auction and scored this beauty below for $6!
-
-
When getting ready to leave, we went to put this in the truck and found out that not only did I buy a dresser, but it came with a mirror and a headboard, it was a little bonus that I had not known. So we threw it all in the truck and headed home.
-
-
So, Chris helped me unload this find in the garage and that is where it has sat since last June. I would occasionally stand over it, head tilting side-to-side to figure out what I was going to do with it... we needed a dresser... and because I am cheap, scratch that, "frugal" this is the one we will use, just what to do to it... I began scouring the internet for ideas and tips on how to paint laminate.
-
The wedding took place on September 18, and the following weekend I got down and dirty with this 70's charmer.
-
-
Started off with taping off the mirror, plenty wide cause I am not the neatest painter...
-
-
Then came the primer. I used Zinnser's oil based primer, I love using this primer because it requires no sanding! That's right, you heard me, NO SANDING! That is the one part about painting projects that I despise... So for this project, I applied two coats of primer. This primer also dries in two hours, so I was able to do both coats the same evening. Just remember that it is oil based, so you will need paint thinner to remove it off of anything... hands... brushes... husband's shoes... whoops!
-
-
After the primer came the paint! I chose Dutch Boy's Colonial Cobblestone. And, I only bought the sample size can... no need to buy a gallon, when I only used 1/2 of the quart size sample!
-
-
I applied three coats two each piece of the set and loved the result!
-
-
I debated buying new hardware, but decided I sort of liked the original, they just needed a new coat of paint, so I dug around and found a brown. It was actually Krylon's Camouflage Paint, it worked out beautifully!
-
-
Here is a sneak peak of the finished result... I will be back to combine this week of projects into one big project tomorrow! See you then!
-
Dresser Project Breakdown:
Dresser/Mirror/Headboard - $6.00
Zinnser Primer - Had on hand
Dutch Boy Sample - $5.33
Krylon Camouflage - Had on hand
Project Total - $11.33

No comments: